The Cowboy Steak is not an everyday steak. I find due to its sheer size, it is a special occasion steak – due to its recent popularity the price has risen. However, several butcher’s have great sources and you can find this on special. In it’s origination this was a cheaper cut of beef and in the 60′s and 70′s. This cut comes from the same section between the chuck and the loin – the other cuts from this section are rib eye steak and roast, as well as the prime rib and the filet of rib.The key is how it is prepared
Cowboy Steaks with Chipotle Whiskey Butter
Prepare grill for about 300º F. 30 minutes before cooking brush your steaks with oil and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of rub on each of the steaks – this will allow a slight crust to form. Place on your grill and allow to cook on each side for about 5 minutes. This will give you a medium-rare. Place 1 slice of Whiskey Butter on each steak and serve.
Cowboy Rub Ingredients:
Method: Place in a zip-top-type bag and mix completely.
Chipotle Whiskey Butter Ingredients:
- 2 shallots minced, soaked in whiskey
- 3 teaspoons minced parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons Jack Daniel’s Whiskey
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons chipotle puree
- White Pepper to taste
- Combine your butter, shallot, parsley, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Jack Daniel’s, salt, and pepper and chipotle puree.
- Mix Well.
- On a sheet of wax paper scoop spoonfuls to form a line.
- Roll in the plastic to form a log.
- Refrigerate until your butter is hard – this should take about 3 hours.